Tyldesley Chapel Day and Sunday Schools, Upper George Street
Watch our movie documenting the opening of the time capsule - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYPd2E8wL4s
On Saturday, 29 June 1901 the foundation stone was laid for the new Day and Sunday Schools built by Tyldesley Chapel at Upper George Street.
With Charles Eckersley Esq. J.P. present as the guest of honour, the stone was laid, alongside a time capsule in the form of a large glass bottle. The bottle contained a variety of items - copies of the programme for the ceremony, the Trust Deed of the Chapel, copies of local newspapers and a selection of coins in use at the time.
For over a century the time capsule lay undisturbed within the fabric of the building.
In 2017 the time capsule was discovered and transferred to Wigan & Leigh Archives for safe-keeping.
Contained within the sealed capsule were the following documents and artefacts:
30 items were found within Tyldesley Upper George Street School Time Capsule