Wigan and Leigh Archives Online



Observatory Tower on the hill behind Haigh Hall, before 1950. The hill behind Haigh Hall on which the observatory was situated was one of the highest points on the estate. Prior to the Second World War, the tower was topped by a flagpole from which Lord Crawford\'s personal standard was flown when he was in residence at Haigh Hall. One of the final times that this occurred was when it was flown at half mast in March 1940 to mark the death of the 27th Earl.

Image Details

Location Haigh, Lancashire, England

Add to Basket